Tomorrow is Dr. Seuss’s birthday and to celebrate we are nothing but Dr. Seuss.
I found so many biographies, blogs, post and articles about this exceptional author, so what else can I say about he that is not already said…not so much; because of that I decided to choose some Dr. Seuss facts, quotes and images of course lots of images!
• Dr Seuss was born in March 2, 1904 in Springfield. He published over 60 children’s books. As one of the most popular children’s authors of all time, his books have topped many bestseller lists, sold over 222 million copies, and been translated into more than 15 languages.
• "Green Eggs and Ham" uses only 50 words as a result of a bet between Seuss and his editor.
In case you are curious about these words here they are: a, am, and, anywhere, are, be, boat, box, car, could, dark, do, eat, eggs, fox, goat, good, green, ham, here, house, I, if, in, let, like, may, me, mouse, not, on, or, rain, Sam, say, see, so, thank, that, the, them, there, they, train, tree, try, will, with, would, you.
• He wasn’t a huge fan of children, he once said ” You have them, I will amuse them”. His wife said in an interview once that he “couldn’t just sit down on the floor and play with them,” and was always a bit uncomfortable and afraid around them
• The word “nerd” was first recorded in his book “If I Ran the Zoo” in 1950
• Yertle the Turtle was based on Hitler, but this is not the big controversy. What was disputed was the burp a turtle lets out at the end. No one had ever let a burp loose in a children’s book before.
• "Horton Hears a Who" was not about religion or God, it was about Japan. A strong critic about how America treated Japan after WWII.
Here some cool links that I found about him:
Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!